Supporting and promoting tennis in the Ann Arbor area
ANN ARBOR AREA COMMUNITY TENNIS ASSOCIATION
The Ann Arbor City Tennis Tournament
According to tournament historian Bruce Watkins, the people of Ann Arbor are among the earliest adopters of tennis in the U.S. In 1881, just six years after it was believed that tennis was introduced in this country, six UM faculty members began playing on the lawn outside of the university president's house. They had picked up the sport on the East Coast and are credited with introducing tennis to Ann Arbor.
By 1919 (eight years before Michigan Stadium was built), tennis was a city-wide phenomenon and a tournament was held to decide who was best. Twenty-four men signed up for the original Ann Arbor City Tennis Tournament, which was played at West Park. Christian Mack beat five opponents to take the first title.
In 1922, the second Ann Arbor City Tennis Tournament was held, and a women's event was added. Renee Faust, who was a childhood friend and hitting partner of Suzanne Lenglen, was the first women's champion.
The next tournament was held in 1927. It became an annual event thereafter, except for the period between 1942-1954.
City Tournament Archives: Pre-1970
Roberts / Whitehouse 1957
Merida Hobart & Catherine Sanders 1937
All archive material comes from the Ann Arbor News.